Basics of Using Echo Wiki
The first important thing to note is the Echo Getting Started Page has a Features Tab which has detailed tutorials about any particular small detail that may confuse you.
This is a simple guide to explain what Echo Knowledge Base is and how to make articles in an orderly manner.
A knowledge base (Echo) and a wiki are the same thing, knowledge base is just a more formal word for wiki.
Echo has Articles, and Categories. Every article is a letter, and every Category a way of organizing the way the page looks. For Yuyo, Echo has been set up in a Tabs format. This means that depending on what Category we use, will move the position of the Article. For example, the Water System Article is under the Sub Category, On the Property. Anything placed into this Sub Category will appear in the About Tab, inside the On the Property Category.
How to Create Articles, Categories and Subcategories
There is one basic way to create Articles, and two basic ways to make Categories and Subcategories. All of these steps appear naturally in the process of making an Article as long as you know what to look out for.
Choosing a Topic
- We work hard here at Yuyo try to make sure the Wiki is clean and not full of dead information.
- Try to consult with Stefan and Jules before adding things to the Wiki.
Creating an Article
- Below is an image of the screen where you create articles. Once you click Add New Article you’ll be directed to a page that looks similar to the regular Web “Page” or “Post”, the key differences will be on the second menu on the right side, (see the second featured image below).
- The biggest diference between a regular WordPress Page or Post and Echo’s Wiki function is seen here on the top right. The Wiki Article function in the side menu allows you to use the visual features of the Echo plugin to create a streamlined and good looking article.
- The most important thing to remember about this side menu is that once you have your aricle written and are ready to publish, you MUST choose a Sub Category for the article, as all the normal Categories exist to organize the Subcategories.
- Looking at Figure 1 above, the Water System Article is actually a member of the “On the Property” Sub Category which is a part of “Projects” It may seem strange at first, but this is to create a streamlined and clean visual database anyone can just click through.
- After choosing the Sub Category that makes the most sense, and finishing your aricle, just press publish at the top right of the screen to add your article to the Wiki and the Web Page.
This process is really important for keeping the Wiki clean and neat. From the regular WordPress Admin site, click on Knowledge Base > Categories to create or edit existing categories.
As you can see below, once you write the name of the category, it can either go under “No” parent category, or be placed under any of the available umbrellas. The “slug” is the part that goes after the web URL like yuyo.info/about where “about” is the slug.
Once you’re finished hit “Save” and you’re done making a category.
Creating a link is as simple as highlighting a word or phrase, .
Then clicking the link button on wordpress,
and then adding the chosen link.
Making an article Password Protected
Making an article password protected is as easy as a few clicks before you publish or update your work to Yuyo.
First, on the right sidebar in the editing menu, open the “Summary” tab if not already open. Then click on the blue “Public” button.
Once the small “Visibility” menu opens up, choose “Private” if you want to just make the information unseeable, or you can click “Password Protected” and type in a password of your choice, like below. Once you press the blue “Publish” or “Update” button your password will be saved.